Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My Dad..........

I haven't had time lately to blog as we've been busy with hospital visits with my Dad. He went to the hospital last Monday (March 9th) and the surgeon removed a portion of his lower intestine. Everything went well with the surgery, no complications. I saw him the day after the surgery and he looked better than I could have expected! The incision is HUGE! It's a vertical incision that goes from below his belly button to his chest! It is the nicest incision I've seen. Very clean and healing well. He continued to progress well, but was getting hungry as he'd been off food since the 8th. On the 5th day post op, he suddenly wasn't feeling well, was sweating profusely, and was agitated. The nurse called in the Dr. who then called the Cardiologist who ordered some tests. Now I'm getting all this info from mom who is completely overwhelmed with all that's going on, so it may or may not be accurate. Anyway, he's been off his diabetes meds, blood pressure pills, anti anxiety meds and my theory is that he was going through withdrawal of some sort. They gave him something in his IV and that calmed him down. Then they had to call his Dr. so that he could put the order in for the other meds. He's home now and resting. He'll see the Dr on Thursday to have the staples removed,then see his Dr. on Friday to discuss the 'irregular heartbeat' that they found after administering the heart tests. They also have him on Warfarin...not sure why, but Andy thinks it's to prevent blood clots after surgery.


Now for news from the complaints dept.

  1. I think my sisters could have come home this week while my Dad was in the hospital
  2. I think they could have sent flowers themselves instead of calling me on Day4 post op and asking me to get them
  3. I think that since he's home now and it's spring break, that one or both of them could have come home.

Andy says " they're not all like you Maria" I take that as a compliment actually, and secretly wish they were more like me! I know this surgery wasn't life saving surgery, but c'mon, if I was living at the coast, I would have made the trip home regardless of the kind of surgery it was!

So, do I say something to them? Probably not as it would start a huge fight ....sigh

No comments: